Tinnitus is the perception of sound in one or both ears or in the head in the absence of any external sound. It is also known as “ringing in the ears”, although the patient maybe experiencing hissing, roaring,
Persistent tinnitus can interfere with an individual’s ability to perform usual daily activities and can prevent individuals from getting enough sleep. Tinnitus can cause considerable psychological distress and can be incapacitating for some individuals.
What triggers tinnitus:
- Frequent exposure to loud noises
- Repeated usage of headphones
- Ear infection or impacted wax in the ear
- Misalignment of the jaw
- Benign or malignant tumor of the auditory nerve, facial nerve
- Use of certain medicines like quinine, aspirin and some antibiotics
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Head and neck trauma
Tinitus in Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, tinnitus is not a disease but a symptom. It is known by the name “Karnanada” in Ayurveda. It is occurring due to the disturbance of prana vata, a subtype of vata dosha ( one among the three elements which maintain the stability of the body) . This prana vata resides in the head and is responsible for all the movements happening in the head which includes the transmission of sound also. When this disturbed prana vata enters the channels of ears, then the patient may perceive different types of sounds called karna nada.
The exact cause for karnanada has to be assesed before starting the treatment.
Various causes are:
- Lack of sleep or keeping awake at night
- Excess cold water head bath especially in old age
- Excessive intake of spicey, bitter and astringent tasting food.
- Excess grief, anger, stress
- Excesive indulgence in sex
- Excessive exercise
- Repeated indulgence in fasting or insufficient intake of food
How Ayurveda can manage tinnitus?
The management of tinnitus should be done by controlling the vata dosha. The body has to be nourished through the heritages of Ayurvedic treatments so as to bring the vata dosha under control. As prana vata is circulating in the head, local treatments to normalize the prana vata should be adopted. Diet and life style modifications will have to be adopted.